Ysgol Abersychan School

Find more about Weather in Abertillery, UK
Abersychan School
Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School Life at Ysgol Abersychan School

P.E.: Addysg Gorfforol

Subject Leader:  Mr J. Watkins ( staff3074@abersychan.schoolsedu.org.uk)

 

Key Stage 3 – Physical Education

Pupils develop skills, knowledge and understanding of Physical Education through involvement in activities from four areas: health, fitness and well-being; creative activities; adventurous activities and competitive activities e.g. rugby, hockey, netball, football, gymnastics, swimming, athletics, cricket and rounders. Through tasks in lessons, progress is assessed in acquiring and developing skills (learning), selecting and applying skills (doing), knowledge and understanding, plus evaluating and improving performance.

The pupils' performance thus improves so that they enjoy being able to perform consistently well. As their confidence grows, so does their ability to participate in more technically demanding activities. They learn the benefits of working with others and understand that engaging in activity is beneficial to their health and fitness, thus being more active. Pupils, therefore, take greater responsibility for their own well-being.

Key Stage 4 – Core Physical Education

Building on the skills, knowledge and understanding acquired at Key Stage 3, the Key stage 4 programme, fosters a growing sense of personal responsibility for a healthy and active lifestyle; through developing activities that can be enjoyed and sustained in school and the community. There are opportunities to act collaboratively and refine skills, to develop leadership skills, make informed judgements and develop advanced technical skills.

GCSE Physical Education – WJEC

The practical areas covered include competitive games, athletics and exercise activities such as circuit training and use of fitness training equipment. In theory, they study factors affecting performance, such as health and fitness components, skill related fitness components, evaluating fitness and training programmes including methods of training: Plus factors affecting participation, and, physical and psychological influences on health, lifestyle and performance.

All areas are covered through class and practical tasks including producing a log book of a personal training plan. Students are assessed internally on all practical work, with the best four providing 60% of their final grade. The practical element is externally moderated. The remaining 40% is assessed through a 90 minute examination. The exam is in 2 sections with a variety of short answer, multiple choice and extended writing questions. The PE exam takes place at the end of the course in Year 11

BTEC First Diploma (Level 2) in Public Services

The Public Service course is designed for students who may wish to pursue a career in the Police, Fire, Ambulance (999 Services) or The Armed Forces (Army, Navy, RAF).  Learners may progress onto higher level course such as the BTEC National Diploma.

During the course pupils will develop an understanding of the public service skills, public service fitness, Outdoor Activities and Crime. This will include learning about the discipline and communication skills need to work in the sector.  Attending specific Public Services and participating in activities that are also run by them is an essential part of the course.

BTEC Diploma (Level 2) in Sport

The BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Sport prepares young people for careers in the sports sector; it provides education and training for sports-related personnel who wish to be employed in a variety of areas such as teaching, fitness, coaching support and land/water based outdoor pursuits. The course aims to motivate learners via applied and alternate teaching and learning styles. Pupils are assessed throughout the course via practical assessments and coursework; there is no written examination in this course. The BTEC qualifications are recognised by employers and education institutions across the country and provide a good progression route to more advanced qualifications, such as A-Level, BTEC Level 3 and foundation degrees.